Thursday, October 11, 2007

It's Basa...Not Bass...

A couple of weekends ago when J and I went out to dinner with our friends S and L (at Bleu Ginger), the waitress was telling us about the specials. She was talking about some fish special, so when we asked her what the fish was, she said "Basa." From the look on her face and her body language, she did not look too sure about it. We asked her what was basa and she couldn't even muster an answer. She just shrugged and giggled nervously and walked away. I bet she sold that dish to many diners that night....riiiiiiight. When she left, we discussed amongst ourselves and agreed that it must have been bass, and basa was a typo on their menu.

Well...we've been proven wrong. I was out with J and L this week and we ate at this cute little Italian place by where we live. The waiter there was telling us about the specials and they had a fish special, featuring basa -- at this point, J and I started laughing. We asked what basa was and the waiter confirmed that it's similar to sole. It sounded delicious...but I went with a porcini mushroom ravioli instead -- which was a good choice.

By the way...just checked wikipedia, and basa is more of a catfish than sole. Maybe the restaurants should inform their waitstaff on what basa really is. Maybe I'll try it someday...I do love catfish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.