Sunday, September 2, 2007

Giving It Another Shot

Recently, my good friend C started her own blog. My oldest sister P-C has been writing a blog for the past few months now. I decided that if these 2 people can keep up and contribute to their blog in a timely manner, then I should really give it another go. Why? Well, I really want to write a novel and I figure as long as I blog about daily crap that happens then it will push me to really start writing and concentrate on my book. I hope it helps me.

I remember the good ol' days when would write all the time. By the time I was in my 1st or 2nd year of college I had written 4 chapters for this silly teen romance novel. I never did go further on it, I am stuck on chapter 5. Maybe I will get motivated and complete this silly romance one day. I may be biased, but it does have a good plot line and story. It seems that Adolescent and Teen Adult novels are very popular these days with such series as Gossip Girl and A-List. Although these books are very popular amongst teenage girls these days, my novel doesn't consist of teenage sex, drugs, language, and crassness as these books do.

The teen romance novel isn't the book I want to write and complete. I have had another idea for my novel since I got out of college 3 years ago and during the time when I was getting married. I am writing a novel that I hope will be regarded and respected like Amy Tan, Maxine Hong Kingston, and Jhumpha Lahiri's works. I want my book to be a bestseller. I have been an avid reader since I was a little girl and this is what I want to be -- a successful writer. I am not going to give out any details because I don't want my ideas to get stolen. I'm being safe here.

Well, wish me luck that I get the first few chapters of my novel out by the end of this year. :)

1 comment:

Courtney said...

1) Yay for starting UP your blogging again. It IS difficult to keep up with but if we keep at it, it might start to become a more natural thing. Then it'll just become habit. That's cool P has a blog.

2) I've actually read some of the Gossip Girl books (sad to say). It's kind of like MTV - a little bad for you, sexy, attractive - they're the bad boys in the adolescent lit world. (Compare this series to Sweet Valley High or Babysitters Club. What the--?)

3) I loved The Interpreter of Maladies. Even though I'm not really an immigrant, I think I related on many levels. I recommend The Last Song of Dusk. Found it at Target. Took me a while to finish but it was worth savoring and drawing out.

4) Yes, you will write your book and publish it. The great thing about being creative and acting on these dreams is that it doesn't have to be a day job. You can always write, create, think and dream - who says it has to be in the 9-to-5 realm?