Thursday, September 6, 2007

Harry Potter 2.0

Since Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out on July 21st, I've read it twice now. I love everything Potter. I'm a big fan. Now that it's the end, I needed to find some new series to read. After doing extensive research on Amazon and Google, I found a couple of series that may intrigue those who are followers of Harry, Ron, and Hermione and all things Hogwarts.

The first series is called Septimus Heap by Angie Sage. Like HP, the series will include 7 books. So far, only 3 have been published:

1. Magyk
2. Flyte
3. Physik

I have read Magyk and Flyte so far and I've enjoyed them very much. The books are really easy to read and follow. The plot is entertaining and tells a beautiful adventurous tale of the Heaps. Septimus Heap (our hero) is the seventh son of a seventh son. The number 7 plays a big role in the book. I'll admit, when I first started reading Magyk, it was hard for me to get into (but I know it's because I had just finished the last Harry Potter book twice and loved every minute of it!) Once I got involved with Septimus' story, I was hooked.

The newest series I'm reading is called the Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan. There will be 5 books in the series. The first 3 books are out now:

1. The Lightning Thief
2. The Sea of Monsters
3. The Titan's Curse

I just started reading Book 1 and I'm about 100 pages in and I'm hooked! If you love Greek Mythology, you'll understand and know all references made to gods like Zeus, Hera, Dionysus, Aphrodite and a lot more. Percy Jackson is always finding himself in the middle of trouble (kind of like Harry), he even has black hair and piercing green eyes. If you can get past that, the book is funny, adventurous, and easy to read.

If you are still yearning for Harry, these 2 series may put you at ease for the time being. Check them out!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Funny, my cousins are fans of Septymus Heap (did I spell that wrong)? When I was watching them in May I picked up one of the books and started reading. It was good. Probably another I'll have to add to my list of must reads.