Monday, September 24, 2007

Who Likes Jane Austen?

It was a rainy day in the valley this past Saturday so I decided to spend my early afternoon taking in a movie. I decided to see The Jane Austen Book Club. The movie is based on the book by Karen Joy Fowler.

The basic premise of the story is that 6 people form together for a book club, thus the Jane Austen book club. Each person will be responsible for holding the book club meeting at their place for each book. The 6 following books by Jane Austen are:

Sense and Sensibility
Northanger Abbey
Emma
Mansfield Park
Pride & Prejudice
Persuasion

Overall, the movie was good. There were some really funny scenes and the cast is full of good actors and actresses: Maria Bello, Amy Brenneman, Maggie Grace, the wonderful Emily Blunt (who doesn't love her?), Jimmy Smits, and Hugh Dancy (oh my, he's so cute!)

I've been reading the novel and in this case, I think the movie may be actually better than the book. I usually prefer books to the movies...but I enjoyed the movie much much more. The book can have its' dull moments and go off on different tangents not related to the story at hand. I do agree that if anyone hasn't ready any Austen, this could be a good introduction her novels.

Either read it or see it.

No comments: